Vortex Viper HD 10×42 Binocular Review
How many times have you missed spotting an animal because you don’t have high quality optics?
Finding the right balance of cost and quality in your binoculars is tough. However, the Vortex Optics Viper HD binoculars do a great job of balancing high quality performance with a reasonable cost.
This Vortex Viper HD 10×42 review helps answer the question: Is the Vortex Viper HD worth my money?
Vortex Viper HD 10×42 Binoculars
An investment in quality at a great price
Crisp optics is the first thing you will notice with this glass. As an HD pair of binoculars, the low dispersion glass lenses tend to exhibit minimal chromatic aberration. You won’t get the usual blurring of color edges which make images fuzzy.
In a nutshell, this pair operates in exceptional fashion even in low light conditions.
Overall, the build and design quality of Vortex Optics makes this binocular one of the best in the game. The Viper HD can hold its own against ultra premium (and pricey) binoculars.
You can expect consistent, dependable performance in all scenarios, terrains and weather that you encounter. Here are some of the highlighted features of the Vortex Viper HD.
All-Weather / Fog-Proof Optics
The Vortex Optics Viper HD Binocular is both fog-proof and waterproof on the inside.
Sure, the exterior lenses will still get fogged if used in cold or humid environments. However, the interior air has been replaced with argon gas. Argon gas doesn’t contain moisture that can fog up your internal lenses.
The Viper HD binoculars are sealed with O-Rings to ensure moisture and air doesn’t get into the internal chambers. With this, you don’t have to worry about moisture-fed fungi thriving on the binoculars’ interior lenses.
Center Focus Wheel
The center focus wheels changes the focus on both lenses at the same time. You will use this wheel multiple times through the day as you scan and focus your binoculars.
Impressively, it only takes 1.5 turns of the center focus knob to go from close focus to infinity. This is a huge plus for avid hunters with limited time to pinpoint their prey. If you’ve used other binoculars requiring multiple turns to change focus, then you’ll likely have great appreciation for this fast focus pair.
Also worth a mention is the high quality polycarbonate chassis that facilitates its lightweight features despite the somewhat hefty weight of the lenses.
Generally, polycarbonate is a sturdy plastic material used to offer great durability while maintaining light weights. At a total weight of 24.9 ounces, this pair is clearly lighter than most of the competition.
The Viper HD is also shorter and to some extent, resembles a short-barreled binocular. The thumb indents located on the bottom side of the viper barrel are innovatively designed to facilitate equal lens weight and length distribution. This means you don’t have to worry about having fatigued arms at the end of your hunting expedition – a norm with most imbalanced binoculars.
The grip is also extremely comfortable, with ergonomic hands that perfectly place the index fingers right above the focusing wheels without even trying. Avid hunters or wildlife observes will attest to the importance of this feature.
Eyecups / Eye Relief
Another innovative feature of the Vortex Viper HD is adjustable eyecups. The Viper HD eyecups twist up and down and are comfortable even if you wear glasses.
The eyecup design allows you to extend the Viper in three simplistic, 3mm steps with a categorical stop at each level. The process is extremely user-friendly, meaning you shouldn’t have issues slipping down a step if need arises.
Overall, you get 17mm of eye relief to facilitate greater optimized and personalized viewing experiences.
Vortex Optics Viper HD Features:
- Well-placed O-ring seals to keep moisture, dirt and debris at bay. This enhances the instrument’s performance in all weather conditions regardless of environment.
- HD extra-low dispersion glass delivers exceptional color fidelity and high-quality image resolution.
- XR multi-coated air-to-glass surfaces to enhance light transmission. Dielectric prism coatings also deliver color accurate, clear images that are really bright.
Vortex Viper HD 10×42 Review Summary
Things we like
- Great image clarity even in low light conditions.
- Reliable performance in all environments thanks to high-quality optics.
- Comes with all necessary tools required to take care of the Vortex Viper Binoculars.
- Specially designed lenses intended at offering high-resolution images and better color displays.
- Lifetime warranty with every purchase of the Vortex Viper Optics binoculars.
Things that could be better
- Some people don’t like the included case.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Q. Does the Vortex Viper Optics binoculars come with warranty?
A. Yes. Upon purchase of every pair, you get a lifetime warranty that allows you to take it back for repair or replacement if any issues arise.
Q. What’s in the box?
A. Besides the binoculars, you get a comfortable neck strap, rain guard, innovatively tethered objective lens covers and a carrying case. This is not to mention the unconditional VIP lifetime warranty listed above.
As you can gather from the above, the Vortex Viper HD Binocular is a high-performance pair of binoculars that allow hunters to get the most out of every expedition.
They won’t leave you feeling fatigued regardless of how long you use them thanks to exceptional eye relief technology, great weight and length distribution and perfect balancing.
They come with a sturdy frame and well-placed O-rings that not only enhance durability, but also make it fog and waterproof.
Generally speaking, every feature entailed in the Viper is designed to offer impressive HD images that can be defined as surreal. The are one of the best hunting binoculars you can buy.
- 10x magnification and 42mm objective lenses, the Viper HD is a high-end, full-size yet compact binocular that is suited for any hunt. An easy-to-grip, rubber armored chassis with perfectly placed thumb indents provides superior ergonomics.
- A high density optical system delivers exceptional resolution and edge to edge clarity. XR anti-reflective lens coatings give bright, full views even in low light situations.
- A locking, right-eye diopter tailors each barrels focus to your eyes. The smooth, center focus wheel provides fine focus control and quick sharp views. Twist-up eyecups rest comfortably against the face and provide customized eye relief.
- Argon purging and O-ring seals provide a lifetime of waterproof and fog proof performance. Ultra-hard, scratch resistant armortek protects the exterior lenses from scratches, oil, and dirt.
- In the field, you should have no trouble reaching them at a moment’s notice with the included Glass Pak Chest Harness providing comfortable, protected, strain-free, all-day carry.